Sunday, July 15, 2012

PERSONAL HISTORY of Thomas Crowther given by himself


Thomas Crowther  1823-1898


Thomas and Jane Crowther Family - about 1887
back:  Thomas Alma Crowther, Emmaline Malissa Kirby, James Franklin Crowther,
Laura Maria Morgan, William Orson Crowther, and Sarah Jane Johnson
front:  Annie Rozella Mortensen, Thomas Crowther (father), Nellie Mortensen,
Jane Jewkes Crowther (mother), and Vilate May Jensen
bottom left corner:  Mary Ann Crowther Anderson


PERSONAL HISTORY of Thomas Crowther given by himself:

Thomas Crowther

"When I was nine years old my parents sent me to school for about twelve months.  After that my father having a large family, put me to work as soon as I was able.  By this time I was able to read in the Testament without much difficulty.  But I never made a letter or figure at school.  What I know about writing or the value of figures I have picked up myself and that after a hard days work.  At eleven years of age I hired out to an old gentleman by the name of John Bradley at a place called Ditton Friers.  I stayed with him for two years and four months, and worked on his farm.  He was a good man as far as he had light and knowledge: he was a strict Methodist and taught me good moral principles that had a lasting impression on  my mind in after years.  When I left him I hired to a man by the name of Edward Hughes, at a place called Kinsely, near Bridge North.  I stayed with him two years, but did not get that religious training as I did of my former master.  For he was a worldly man.  I continued to hire out until I was twenty-two years of age, and notwithstanding the religious training that I has received in my youth it did not seem to have that impression on my mind as it does on some people; that is I could not reconcile myself in regard to what God required me to do to be saved.


I went from one sect to another but I still felt an aken void.  I seemed to be hunting something that none of the religious sect had got.  About this time I was 22 years of age when I quit farmer's service and went into Staffordshire and worked at blast furnaces, that is manufacturing of iron.  I continued to work at this business the remainder of the time I stayed in England.  When I was about 26 years of age I married a young woman by the name of Sarah Thompson.  About the time that we got married I went and paid a visit to my mother-in-law.  When for the first time my eyes beheld the Book of Mormon.  This was about 1849.  There happened to be a Mormon Elder at her home, by the name of Thomas Shelly, he presented me with a copy of the Book of Mormon which I took home with me and read it through, and truly I thought I had found the pearl of great price.  My father and mother-in-law had already been baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints, and had two of their children healed in a miraculous manner.  They were both healed by the power of God, which cased quite a stir in the neighborhood.  Several joined the church there about this time, and as I stated I read the Book of Mormon through and was very much interested in the little light that I had gained through reading that precious record.  It caused me to long for more.  I was not long in hunting up the place where the Latter-day Saints held their meetings, and the first or second time I went to see them, one elder spoke in Tongues and another interpreted the Tongue.  The substance of it was, that branch should grow and prosper and many should be added to the church.  I shall never forget the sensation that came over me at that time, for I was satisfied that these men spoke by the power of God.  I saw that prophecy fulfilled to the very letter.

In the next three months there were 44 added to that branch, myself and wife included among them.  We were baptized Oct. 13th, 1850, into the Tipton Branch of the Birmingham Conference, By Elder George Hill, President of that branch.  I was ordained to the office of Priest, December 26, 1851 by Elder John Weston.  Later ordained an Elder by William George, 13 May, 1953.

About this time I met with a bad accident.  I hurt one of my shoulders so bad I could not lift my arm up.  I had faith in the power of God and his ordinances.  I went to meeting at night and took with me some oil and requested the elders to anoint my shoulder with the oil and pray to the Lord in the name of Jesus Christ to heal me, which they did and I was healed from that very moment, and went to my work the next morning to the astonishment of all my fellow workmen.  Although my should was back and blue and discolored for weeks afterward; but not to hurt me in the least.  This was the first time I has the power of God manifest upon my own body.  Previous to my hearing the Gospel I had one of my legs broken which caused me to he helpless for three months.  This was about two months after I was married.  During this time I read and reflected a great deal.  I prayed earnestly for the Lord to guide me in the right path.  I realize that it was through this circumstance that led me to investigate and embrace the Gospel.  Quite a number of years have passed since then.  I am writing from memory at this late date, thinking it would be of interest to my children after I am gone.  What I write is the Truth.

In 1853, three years after joining the Church, myself and wife agreed to save out of my wages ten shillings a week, equal to $2.50, as we had a great desire to gather with the Church in America.  We carried out our plan for six months, then by selling our furniture we had enough to pay our way to Saint Louis, Missouri, USA.  We had one little girl named Mary Ann, three and a half years old.  We lost one little boy who lived twelve weeks, named Francis.  It was the counsel for all Latter-day Saints who could pay their way to Saint Louis, Missouri, to do so, for they could get an out-fit there to cross the plains easier than they could in England.  On November 13th, 1854, we embarked on a ship, the Clara Wheeler, a sailing vessel, bound for New Orleans, Louisiana, with 420 Saints on board.  We were almost wrecked on the Irish channel for a day and night, was towed back into the river Mercy, Liverpool, and had to wait two weeks for favorable winds.  President of the Mission, Franklin D. Richards came to our ship and told us if we would fast and pray, and keep the commandments of God we should have favorable winds and a prosperous journey across the ocean.  This we did and the next day the wind turned in our favor and we started again.  In five weeks we landed in New Orleans safe in fulfillment of Apostle Richards' promise.  That was January 1st, 1855.  I was taken very sick when about two weeks out at sea and continued so till we got to fresh water.  Many doubted my recovery, but I told them I should live to get to the land of Zion.  I recovered fast when we got to fresh water.  Our fare was paid only to New Orleans.  I was weak from my illness, our money reduced to ten shillings.  While contemplating our condition I could see no other way only for us to stop at New Orleans and try and get work and earn money sufficient to take us to Saint Louis, Missouri, as distance of 1200 miles.  While leaning over the side of the vessel, a man came behind me and put his hand on my shoulder and asked me about my circumstances.  When I told him, he reached out and gave me 40 shillings, just the amount required to take us to Saint Louis.  This man was almost an entire stranger, I had seen him on the vessel but do not remember ever speaking to him before.  He gave me the money without my asking him.  he told me I could pay him back when I got able.  Which I did with the first money I got.

A steamboat was charted to take us up the Mississippi River immediately and we landed at Saint Louis, January 10th, 1855.  The next day I met a former acquaintance, one Richard Jewkes who had preceded me from the Tipton Branch.  He came and took me, my wife and child to his abode, five miles distant; a place called the Gravois.  We stayed with him as long as we remained in that part.  I dug coal and made some money.  The 4th of March, 1855, my wife gave birth to a boy baby that was dead when he was born.  Two days after, she died, and was buried at a place called the County Farm.  This was sad indeed, leaving me and the little girl to make our way to Zion.

Early in April we started on our way to cross the plains, a distance of twelve hundred miles.  I trusted in the Lord to open the way.  I met a young man, a carpenter, who was in about the same condition as myself.  We decided to build us a hand cart and try and make our way with one of the Ox team companies.  Just at this time a messenger from a Texas Company who had started across the plains, had gone 75 miles, when the Cholera broke out and several of the men died from its effect.  He was looking for teamsters, volunteers to go and drive the teams.  Myself and six others accepted the proposition to drive four yoke of steers to each wagon loaded with merchandise on consideration we got our board and what little baggage we had and the little girl taken along.  We started out for the company with a team of horses, and in two days reached them.  Edward Stevensen was sent to take charge of the train.  He was a native of Gibralter, a very fine man.  Out of the seven of us that volunteered, not one of us had ever put a yoke on an ox imagine we had a picnic.  But we soon got so we could manage them like old teamsters.

Mary Ann Crowther Anderson
We left Mormon Grove Jun 13th, 1855, and arrived in Salt Lake City, Sept. 13th 1855.  Me and the little girl would sleep under the wagon at night.  In the day time, she would ride in the wagon just ahead of me so I could keep her in sight.  We traveled late one night in order to reach water.  As soon as we stopped for camp, at a place called Laramie, Wyoming, I unyoked my cattle and got them to feed.  I returned and assisted in getting supper, then went as usual for my little girl, but she was missing.  I roused the camp.  No one had seen her since we stopped for camp.  A diligent search was made but of no avail.  I imagined all kinds of scenes of death.  Indians getting her, wandering away to perish, and be eaten by wolves, etc.  I shall never forget the felling that came to me, though now it is 30 years  or more.  I cannot refrain from tears as that experience comes to my mind.  Most of the camp gave up the search in vain.  I could not settle or content myself, but still wandered about, when finally I found her fast asleep in some tall grass a short distance away.  You may imagine my joy in finding her.


We had to keep diligent watch all the way across the plains.  At Sweet Water a false alarm of an Indian raid gave us quite a scare.  But in all our journey we were wonderfully blessed.  At this place my wife that is dead visited me, put her arms round my neck, told me of many things I have seen come to pass since that time.  She looked so beautiful.  When I asked her of how it was in the sphere where she moved, she signified she was not at liberty to tell.  I knew she was dead, and where she was buried.  At this point I was aroused by the false alarm.

On arriving at Salt Lake City, I walked immediately to Pleasant Grove, 40 miles south, and visited my wife's parents, who had emigrated three years previous.  I stayed there and worked until the October conference, which I attended.  After that I went with Elder John Weston, former president of the
branch that I came from in England.

I left Mary Ann with her grandparents and went with this John Weston to Cedar City, Utah.  He had been requested to find two men who understood the manufacturing of iron.  Another man by the name of Thomas Gower went with us, where we found a mountain of iron ore, at which place we worked for two or three years.  But the company trying to develop this industry did not have money enough to carry on the work.  For that reason it failed.

On the 25th of November, 1855, I met a young widow by the name of Jane Jewkes, a former acquaintance in the Tipton branch.  I offered my hand in marriage to her and was accepted.  We were married by the President of the Stake, Isaac C. Haight.  My wife had emigrated the same year.  We had fairly good clothes, but nothing toward housekeeping - no money - in a country where even the necessities of life were scarce.  The grasshoppers had destroyed the crops, and food was not in the country.  The Lord's hand was manifest in our behalf.  During the famine, mushrooms grew just outside the city. People would go every morning and gather them and with a spoonful of flour to thicken them or make gravy.  We relished them and they sustained life until another harvest.  Another item of food was the homey dew that grew upon the willow.  People would gather the willows, wash them in tubs, then boil the water and make it into a syrup, which was very delicious.  They gathered barrels of it.  This was at a time when sugar or molasses could not be gotten in the country.  I have never seen it since like it came at that time.

I will now mention a manifestation I had in answer to prayer.  In the spring of 1857, a man by the name of Whittier told me I could use his oxen to plow my lot if I would bring them from the range telling me where I would find them.  I started out early the next morning in search of them, and woke fast until noon without success.  I began to get faint and weary, when I turned to one side into a cedar grove.  There I knelt down and asked the Lord in sincerity to make known to me where the cattle were.  I had not been on my knees more than two minutes when a voice said to me - they are up in Coal canyon.  This was not said in a loud voice, but in a pleasant whisper that filled my heart with a certainty that they were there.  I arose and went with a light heart about one and a half miles distant.  There I found the cattle lying down, chewing their cuds.
I mention this circumstance to show that the Lord does hear and answer prayers when we are humble and sincere.  Since then I have witnessed a similar manifestation a number of times.  In the winter of 1858 I decided I would move away from Cedar City and go to Beaver, where I could take up land.  That was a new place and plenty of land and water, a distance 52 miles north.  In the fall of 1858, I went to Beaver, took up a lot and went to work building me a house, preparatory to moving my family.  I got my house under way when I was impressed to go home- but for what reason I did not know.  It was sadly against my will, for I wanted to complete my house.  I had a presentment that I was needed at home.  We had no means of communication - mail only once a month, so there was no way of sending or receiving a message.  Next morning about nine o'clock I started for home, with a yoke of cattle and a wagon.  I traveled 30 miles that day and camped at a place called Paragonah or Red Creek.  I turned my cattle out and got my supper and went to ved but could not sleep.  Something seemed to urge me to get up and go on, but I reasoned with myself like this: the cattle are tired and I cannot possible go on tonight.  But the impression grew stronger, so I got up, got my cattle hitched to the wagon and started, traveling all night, arriving home at eight o'clock a.m.  I had traveled 52 miles in 23 hours.

I found my wife very sick.  The neighbors did not think she could live.  At the time when the impression came to me to get up and go on the evening before, they thought she was dead.  When I found her in this condition, I understood why I was so impressed to go home.  I mention this to show that we have guardian Angels, and that they do oft times manifest things that we should do, and also warning us against many dangers, if we would give heed to the whisperings of the still, small voice."

By 1887 seven of their children had moved to Colorado, so they came to the valley to visit and spend the Christmas holidays with them.  In 1890 Thomas and his wife, Jane, moved to Sanford, Colorado, where he built a brick home and they were very comfortable and contented.

In 1896 Thomas was ordained Stake Patriarch by Heber J. Grant and John Henry Smith.  Three months later his wife died; that fall he moved into the home of his son, W. O. Crowther, where he lived until his death in 1898.

Additional Crowther History:  About the year 1850 a number of Elders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints went to England.  Those that went to Shropshire made many converts.  Among them were three brothers and a cousin, Thomas, Francis, Richard and George Crowther.  All four emigrated to the US of America.  The sole purpose for making their home with the Saints of God, called Mormons.  Francis came in 1852 and died on the plains on his way to Utah.  Thomas came in 1855, Richard in 1864 and George in 1857. These two brothers and cousin chose Fountain Green, Utah, as the place to make their home, where they lived and reared their families, for thirty years.  Then Thomas moved to the San Luis Valley, Colorado where he and his family helped to make settlements.  Richard moved his families to Southern Utah and later moved to Logan, Utah, with one family where he died.  George remained at Fountain Green until his death.


"The Mormons 100 Years in the San Luis Valley of Colorado" pages 175-176

       Most of the Crowthers in the San Luis Valley are descendants of Thomas Crowther, born March 12, 1823, in Easthope, Shropshire, England.  Thomas went to a formal school for only 12 months at the age of 9.  After this he studied and learned on his own, and was proud to be able to study the Testament.

       After he quit school to go to work he worked for over 2 years for John Bradley, a strict Methodist, who sent Thomas to church regularly.  After that he did not get any religious training from anyone he worked for.  However he seemed to have a hunger that no religion would satisfy.

       As a grown man he worked at blast furnaces manufacturing iron.  When 26, he married Sarah Thomason; it was in the parents' home that he first saw the Book of Mormon and heard the Mormon Elders.  He knew at once that he had found the Pearl of Great Price.  He and his wife were baptized October 13, 1850.  A few months later he had a serious accident, hurting his shoulder so severely he couldn't even lift his arm.  He called on the Elders to anoint and bless him, and was able to return to work the next morning to the astonishment of his fellow workmen.

       In 1853, he and his wife started saving to go to Zion.  They were able to save what amounted to $2.50 a week..  In 6 months, by selling their furniture and everything they had, they were able to pay their way to New Orleans.  At this time they had one little girl, Mary Ann,, 3 1/2 years old, but had lost little Francis, who only lived 12 weeks.  They boarded ship November 13, 1854, and landed in New Orleans 5 weeks later, having been delayed by storms.  They stayed there to earn money to go on to St. Louis.  While there, his wife gave birth to a little boy who was born dead.  Two days later she also died, leaving Thomas and Mary Ann to continue their journey to Zion alone.

       Thomas hired out as a driver for a wagon on a wagon train.  Seven men were hired to fill vacancies, none of whom had ever put a yoke on an ox before, and the oxen were all wild Texas cattle.  They had quite a picnic, but very soon learned to manage.

Thomas tells the following story in his own words:
"Me and the little girl would sleep under the wagon at night, in the daytime she would ride in the wagon just ahead of me so I could keep her in sight.  We traveled late one night in order to reach water.  As soon as we stopped for camp at a place called Laramie, Wyoming.  I unyoked my cattle and got them to feed.  I returned and assisted in getting supper, then went as usual for my little girl, but she was missing.  I roused the camp.  No one had seen her since we stopped for camp.  A diligent search was made but of no avail.  I imagined all kinds of scenes of death:  Indians getting her, wandering away to perish, and being eaten by wolves, etc.  I shall never forget the feeling that came to me, though now it is thirty years or more.  I cannot refrain from tears as that experience comes to my mind.  Most of the camp gave up the search in vain.  I could not settle or content myself, but still wandered about, when finally I found her fast asleep in some tall grass a short distance away.  You can imagine my joy in finding her."
They had many interesting experiences, both hard and faith promoting, but finally arrived in Salt Lake City.  A few months later Thomas met and married Jane Jewkes, a widow with one little boy.  They lived in Beaver, the Ephraim, but finally settled in Fountain Green, and there had a large family.
       By 1887 seven of their children had moved to Colorado, so they came to the valley to visit and spend the Christmas holidays with them.  In 1890 Thomas and his wife moved to Sanford, Colorado, where he built a brick home and they were very comfortable and contented.
       In 1896 Thomas was ordained Stake Patriarch by Heber J. Grant and John Henry Smith.  Three months later his wife died; that fall he moved into the home of his son, W. O. Crowther, where he lived until his death in 1898.


"Utah, Our Pioneer Heritage"
Our Pioneer Heritage Volume 4 Zion Sings The Fountain Green Choir A Tribute Thomas Crowther and Jane Jewkes, sister of Samuel Jewkes the first choir leader, were married in Utah in 1855.  In 1860, they were living in a dug-out near Ephraim and here Jane gave birth to a son, James Franklin.  The family moved to Fountain Green in 1861, where both parents were associated with the choir until they left the town in 1890. Not only did the parents sing, but they reared a family of musically talented children to swell the number of the choir.  Thomas Crowther was English and never lost his accent, dropping the h's to the end.  To him, after the dug-out, Fountain Green was "Eaven."  In time, he became the famous seconder of motions. Harmon Curtis, a local rhymester, wrote: "T for Tom Crowther; he got the good notion; He's always on hand to second the motion." Mr. Crowther was in ill health for a number of years but made his presence felt in spite of the fact.  Jane Jewkes Crowther had a remarkably beautiful voice.


Jane Jewkes Crowther


Thomas Crowther

No comments:

Post a Comment